If you are unemployed, you may be entitled to unemployment benefit. To get unemployment benefit, you must be registered as a job seeker with the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (NAV). You can register as a job seeker and apply for work on the website

Looking for work

If you are unemployed, you can find job advertisements and advice on how to apply for jobs on  On the same website, you can register your CV and information that might be relevant for employers looking for new employees. 

When you have registered yourself as a job seeker with NAV, your need for assistance will be assessed to help you get a job as quickly as possible.  
You can find more information about what to do if you find yourself unemployed on 

Starting your own business?

You can get financial support and advice from Innovation Norway to start your own business.

Unemployment benefit

Unemployment benefit is partly a compensation for lost income. In order to qualify for unemployment benefit, your working hours must have been reduced and you must have had a minimum income. You must also be an active job seeker and live in Norway. 

Citizens from EEA countries who have had a Norwegian employment contract may apply for Norwegian unemployment benefit.

Employment status report

As a job seeker, you must submit an employment status report every 14 days to NAV. The report describes what you have done the past 14 days to find work. The status report can be submitted electronically via


You can find information about your rights as a worker on the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority’s website. 

Financial assistance (social assistance)

If you do not qualify for unemployment benefit, you may apply for financial assistance by contacting your local NAV office. The assistance is intended to secure people an income on a temporary basis, so they may be financially independent. You may also be entitled to housing allowance



  • Your Payments - NAV

    Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV)
    Here you can find information about any payments you have received from NAV during the last three months. See also information about payment dates, holiday pay and tax witholding on 
  • Financial assistance - a guide

    Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV)

    Financial assistance is a temporary form of income. The objective of this type of benefit is to help you manage on your own as soon as possible. Before you can qualify for financial assistance you must consider every other possibility for you to provide for yourself. This could include employment, other means of income or using your own savings. 

  • Interest tests

    Norwegian Directorate for Education and Training
    What are you interested in? Use these aptitude and interest tests to find out more about which jobs or studies that may suit you. (In Norwegian only)
  • Sickness benefit (sykepenger) to self-employed persons and freelancers

    Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV)

    You are entitled to sickness benefit (sykepenger) from the 17th day of absence. For the first 16 calendar days, you can receive sickness benefit if you have taken out insurance.

  • Order an exemption card

    Norwegian Tax Administration
    An exemption card is a tax deduction card that shows that your employer should not deduct tax if you earn NOK 60,000 or less during the year (2021). If you at one point have received an exemption card, you do not have to apply for a new one. If you earn more than NOK 60,000, you must order a tax deduction card instead.
  • Info Norden - Nordic cooperation

    Nordic Council of Ministers

    Info Norden is the Nordic Council of Ministers' information service for persons moving, working and studiing in the Nordic region. 

  • Find job vacancies in Norway

    Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV)
    Here you will find all publicly advertised vacancies in Norway and all the jobs that employers have registered to (In Norwegian only)
  • Working abroad

    European Commission

    Are you a cross-border commuter? A posted worker? Or do you work seasonally in another EU country? Or are you just planning to go abroad? No matter what, you have the same rights as the nationals of your host country. Check on the Your Europe portal where to start and what your rights are.


    Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV) is a guide for job seekers from the Nordic countries, as well as countries within and outside the EU/EEA area, who want to work in Norway. The web site also provides advice for Norwegian employers wishing to recruit foreign workers.
  • Work voluntarily in Europe

    Norwegian Directorate for Children, Youth and Family Affairs (Bufdir)

    The European Solidarity Corps is the new European Union initiative which creates opportunities for young people to volunteer or work in projects in their own country or abroad that benefit communities and people around Europe.

  • Commuter guide

    Norwegian Tax Administration
    A commuter is a wage earner that spends the night away from home because of work. If you are a commuter, you might be entitled to tax deductions for your additional expenses for food, accommodation and travel to and from the commuter home.
  • Where to find job vacancies in Norway?

    Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV)

    Here you will find tips for foreign job seekers.

  • Apply for housing allowance

    Norwegian State Housing Bank
    Housing allowance is a government-financed support scheme for partial coverage of housing expenses for households with low income.
  • Register your CV and make a job profil

    Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV)

    Here you can register your CV (in Norwegian only). On you can learn more about writing a good CV .

  • Resumption of unemployment benefits

    Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV)
    If you received unemployment benefits in the past but have not received them for a while, you can reapply for these benefits by submitting the simplified application form. You may not submit a simplified application if more than 52 weeks have passed since you last received unemployment benefits.