The persons intending to get married must each fill out a form declaring that they fulfill the conditions for entering into marriage.
Statements by the witnesses
The persons to be married must each have a witness. The witnesses must each fill out a form to declare that they know of no reason why the couple should not get married.
If either of the persons to be married has been married before, they must fill out a declaration of separation form.
Changing your name?
If you wish to change your name, you must fill out the change of name form.
Remember, you will need to get a new passport if you change your name.
Certificate of no impediment
All completed forms must be sent to your local tax office, who will then process your case and if you fulfill the requirements to get married in Norway, they will send you a certificate of no impediment.
Once you have received your certificate of no impediment, you must send it to the wedding official who is going to perform your wedding ceremony. If you include the address of your wedding official on the personal declaration form, the Norwegian Tax Administration will send the certificate directly to them.
The wedding ceremony
You can choose the type of wedding ceremony you prefer, for example, you may choose to have a church wedding or a civil wedding ceremony at a district court. From 1 January 2018, Norweegian municipalities will be responsible for civil wedding ceremonies.
After the marriage ceremony has taken place, the wedding official must send the documents to the Norwegian Tax Administration. The Norwegian Tax Administration will then send you a marriage certificate.
It is possible to draw up marriage agreements in Norway to regulate the ownership of a couple’s assets/property. If this is not done, assets/property are automatically regulated by Norwegian marriage legislation.
You can find more information about marriage abroad and marriage with a foreign citizen on the Norwegian Tax Administration’s website.
- Posten Norge ASIf you have a new address, you should register your change of address with Norway Post to ensure that your post is delivered correctly. If you plan to live in Norway for more than six months, you must report your relocation to Norway to the National Population Register (Norwegian Tax Administration) no later than eight days after your arrival.
- Norwegian Tax AdministrationIf you intend to move within Norway, you must send a change of address notification to the National Population Register (folkeregisteret) no later than eight days after you have moved. The National Population Register is managed by the Norwegian Tax Administration.
- Norwegian Tax AdministrationYou can change your first name, middle name and last name. Note that the middle name is not a first name. Names which can be used as a surname, may also be taken as a middle name.
- National Police DirectorateTo apply for a Norwegian passport, you must apply in person by going to a police station in Norway. To renew a foreign passport, you must contact your home country's embassy or consulate in Norway.
- Norwegian Tax AdministrationBefore you can get married, the Norwegian Tax Administration must check whether you meet the conditions for entering into marriage according to Norwegian law. In this article, you can find information about getting married in Norway and merriage abroad.
- Norwegian Tax AdministrationAll persons who marry are sent a marriage certificate from the Tax Office once the marriage has been registered. You can order a certified copy here.
- Brønnøysund Register Centre
It is possible to draw up marriage agreements in Norway to regulate the ownership of a couple’s assets/property. If this is not done, assets/property are automatically regulated by Norwegian marriage legislation. (The form is in Norwegian only)
- Norwegian Tax Administration
Before you can get married, the Norwegian Tax Administration must check whether you meet the conditions for entering into marriage. This means that you have to provide some information. The process takes about two to three weeks, so make sure you allow plenty of time before the wedding.