Getting married

Before you can get married, the Norwegian Tax Administration must check that you have the right to get married in Norway. The quickest way to apply for a “certificate of no impediment to marriage” electronically, if both of you have a Norwegian national identity number or D-number. Case processing may take 5-6 weeks, so plan ahead.

Personal declaration

The persons intending to get married must each fill out a form “certificate of no impediment to marriage” declaring that they fulfill the conditions for entering into marriage.

Statements by the witnesses

The persons to be married must each have a witness. The witnesses must each fill out a form to declare that they know of no reason why the couple should not get married.  

Previously married? 

If either of the persons to be married has been married before, they must fill out a declaration of separation form.

If you are divorced according to foreign law, the divorce must be recognized by the County Governor (statsforvalteren). You can download the application form here.  

Certificate of no impediment

All completed forms must be sent to your local tax office. The tax administration will then process your case, and if you fulfill the requirements to get married in Norway, they will send you a certificate of no impediment. 

Once you have received your certificate of no impediment, you must send it to the wedding official who is going to perform your wedding ceremony. If you include the address of your wedding official on the personal declaration form, the Norwegian Tax Administration will send the certificate directly to them.  

The wedding ceremony

You can choose the type of wedding ceremony you prefer, for example a church wedding or a civil wedding ceremony. Norwegian municipalities are responsible for civil wedding ceremonies. 

The County Governor has an overview of religious and lifestance-based organisations with the right to marry.

Marriage certificate

After the marriage ceremony has taken place, the wedding official must send the documents to the Norwegian Tax Administration.

The Tax Administration will send a confirmation to your Altinn inbox. If you are not an electronic user or do not have a national identity number, but you are marrying according to Norwegian law, the National Population Register will send you a marriage certificate by post.

Marriage settlements

It is possible to draw up marriage agreements in Norway to regulate the ownership of a couple’s assets/property. There are statutory requirements for how a marriage pact is to be established and designed.

Marriage abroad

You can find more information about marriage abroad and marriage with a foreign citizen on the Norwegian Tax Administration’s website.

Changing your name?

If you wish to change your name, you must fill out the form “change of name”.  
Remember, you will need to get a new passport if you change your name. 

Moving within Norway

Norwegian Tax Administration

If you intend to move within Norway, you must send a change of address notification to the National Population Register (folkeregisteret) no later than eight days after you have moved. The National Population Register is managed by the Norwegian Tax Administration.

Change of name

Norwegian Tax Administration

You can change your first name, middle name and last name. Note that the middle name is not a first name. Names which can be used as a surname, may also be taken as a middle name.

Passports and ID cards

National Police Directorate

You must be a Norwegian citizen to get a Norwegian passport or ID card. You must book an appointment online before appearing at the passport and ID office. To renew a foreign passport, you must contact your home country's embassy or consulate in Norway.

Marriage certificate

Norwegian Tax Administration

Everyone who gets married receives a confirmation after the marriage has been registered with the Tax Administration. If you need a marriage certificate on paper or you would like a copy, you can order one here.

Marriage agreements

Brønnøysund Register Centre

It is possible to draw up marriage agreements (prenuptial agreements) in Norway to regulate the ownership of a couple’s assets/property. If this is not done, assets/property are automatically regulated by Norwegian marriage legislation. (The form is in Norwegian only)

Getting married in Norway

Norwegian Tax Administration

Before you can get married, the Norwegian Tax Administration must check whether you meet the conditions for entering into marriage. The process may take some time, so make sure you allow plenty of time before the wedding.

Marriage abroad

Norwegian Tax Administration

If you’re getting married abroad, the marriage can be entered into in accordance with either foreign law or Norwegian law. Before you can get married, whether in accordance with Norwegian or foreign law, the Tax Administration must check that you/the one of you who is/has been resident in Norway, fulfils the conditions for entering into marriage.