If you are unemployed, you may be entitled to unemployment benefit. To get unemployment benefit, you must be registered as a job seeker with the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (NAV). You can register as a job seeker and apply for work on the website

Looking for work

If you are unemployed, you can find job advertisements and advice on how to apply for jobs on  On the same website, you can register your CV and information that might be relevant for employers looking for new employees. 

When you have registered yourself as a job seeker with NAV, your need for assistance will be assessed to help you get a job as quickly as possible.  
You can find more information about what to do if you find yourself unemployed on 

Starting your own business?

You can get financial support and advice from Innovation Norway to start your own business.

Unemployment benefit

Unemployment benefit is partly a compensation for lost income. In order to qualify for unemployment benefit, your working hours must have been reduced by at least 50 per cent and you must have had a minimum income. You must also be an active job seeker and live in Norway. 

Citizens from EEA countries who have had a Norwegian employment contract may apply for Norwegian unemployment benefit.

Employment status report

As a job seeker, you must submit an employment status report every 14 days to NAV. The report describes what you have done the past 14 days to find work. The status report can be submitted electronically via


You can find information about your rights as a worker on the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority’s website. 

Financial assistance (social assistance)

If you do not qualify for unemployment benefit, you may apply for financial assistance by contacting your local NAV office. The assistance is intended to secure people an income on a temporary basis, so they may be financially independent. You may also be entitled to housing benefit. 




    Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV) is a guide for job seekers from the Nordic countries, as well as countries within and outside the EU/EEA area, who want to work in Norway. The web site also provides advice for Norwegian employers wishing to recruit foreign workers.
  • Working abroad

    European Commission

    Are you a cross-border commuter? A posted worker? Or do you work seasonally in another EU country? Or are you just planning to go abroad? No matter what, you have the same rights as the nationals of your host country. Check on Your Europe where to start and what your rights are.

  • Commuter guide

    Norwegian Tax Administration
    A commuter is a wage earner that spends the night away from home because of work. If you are a commuter, you might be entitled to tax deductions for your additional expenses for food, accommodation and travel to and from the commuter home.
  • Work voluntarily in Europe

    Norwegian Directorate for Children, Youth and Family Affairs (Bufdir)

    The European Solidarity Corps is the new European Union initiative which creates opportunities for young people to volunteer or work in projects in their own country or abroad that benefit communities and people around Europe.

  • Apply for housing allowance

    Norwegian State Housing Bank
    Housing allowance is a government-financed support scheme for partial coverage of housing expenses for households with low income.
  • Resuming unemployment benefits

    Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV)
    If you received unemployment benefits in the past but have not received them for a while, you can reapply for these benefits by submitting the simplified application form. You may not submit a simplified application if more than 52 weeks have passed since you last received unemployment benefits.
  • Apply unemployment benefits

    Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV)
    In order to become eligible for unemployment benefit, you must first register as a job seeker at NAV. The earliest you can submit your claim for unemployment benefit is one week before the first day on which you become totally or partially unemployed. It is important that you do not submit your application too early, as it may be rejected.
  • Application for tax deduction card for foreign citizens

    Norwegian Tax Administration
    If you are a foreign citizen and do not have a Norwegian national ID number, you must visit a tax office which performs identity checks in order to apply for a tax deduction card (tax notice).
  • Are you intending to work in Norway?

    Norwegian Tax Administration
    As an employee in Norway, you must have a tax deduction card, submit tax returns and receive tax assessment notices. Here, you will find information including what you must do in order to start work in Norway and what you need to take with you when you go to the tax office.
  • Er du arbeidssøker? Veiviser til jobbsøking

    Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV)
    Denne veiviseren fra Nav kan helpe deg i jobbjakten. Her får du hjelp og råd i den situasjonen du er i - enten du har mistet jobben eller sagt opp, er permittert, har stått utenfor arbeidslivet lenge, er ung og har lite jobberfaring eller har jobb og ønsker å bytte. Du får også råd om hvordan du kan få oversikt over økonomien din og informasjon om støtteordninger i forbindelse med reise og flytting. 
  • Supplemental benefits - NAV

    Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV)
    You may be entitled to specific benefits to cover certain costs related to occupational evaluations or occupational activities (e.g. for specific measures or to participate in an approved educational or training programme).
  • Housing allowance calculator

    Norwegian State Housing Bank
    If you live in a low-income household, you may be entitled to receive housing allowance. Here you can calculate how much housing allowance you may be entitled to.
  • Diploma registry

    Ministry of Education and Research

    By using the Diploma Registry, you can collect your results from higher education in Norway and share them with potential employers, educational institutions and other relevant recipients. The Diploma Registry is free of charge.

  • Register as a jobseeker

    Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV)
    Here you can register as a jobseeker with NAV.
  • Nordisk termbase


    Her finner du informasjon om ord og termer som blir brukt innenfor viktige samfunnsområder i de nordiske landene. Det kan være til hjelp om du skal arbeide eller studere i et annet nordisk land.