Application for separation
If you wish to get divorced, you first have to apply for separation if you and your spouse still live together or have lived apart for less than two years. You apply for separation to the county governor’s office in the county where you previously lived together. When you and your spouse have been separated for at least one year, you can apply for a divorce. During the separation period, you will still be formally married. Therefore, neither of you may remarry during this period.
Divorce after two years of living apart
You can apply for a divorce without first being separated, if you and your spouce have been living apart for at least 2 years and you both agree that this is a termination of matrimonial cohabitation.
If you and your spouse have common children under the age of 16 years, you must meet at a family counselling office or at an approved counsellor’s office for a mediation meeting. This applies for both married and cohabitants who choose to split up. The counselor will issue a certificate of mediation, which must be attached to the application for separation. The certificate is valid for 6 months.
Once your divorce goes through, you will still have the surname you had whilst married. If you wish to change your surname, you must send an application to change your name to the Norwegian Tax Administration. They will then process the application.
You can find more information about separation and divorce on the website for County Governors in Norway.
You may also find the brochure “Separation and Divorce” useful, published by the Ministry of Children and Equality.
If you need a certificate to document that you are separated or divorced, you can order a printout from the National Population Register.
- Norwegian Tax AdministrationHere you can order information from the National Population Register, like certificates and extracts. The National Population Register is a part of the Norwegian Tax Administration.
- Norwegian Tax AdministrationA confirmation of child custody states who is registered as having custody of a child. You may need such confirmation to support applications to a bank or insurance company for example.
- County Governor of Oslo og VikenMelding til Fylkesmannen er eit elektronisk skjema som du kan bruke til å ettersende dokument eller annan informasjon som Fylkesmannen treng til behandlinga av ei sak. Skjemaet kan også brukast til å sende ei melding til Fylkesmannen, i staden for å sende brev.
- Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV)
Financial assistance is a temporary form of income. The objective of this type of benefit is to help you manage on your own as soon as possible. Before you can qualify for financial assistance you must consider every other possibility for you to provide for yourself. This could include employment, other means of income or using your own savings. Find out what financial assistance can cover.
- Posten Norge ASIf you have a new address, you should register your change of address with Norway Post to ensure that your post is delivered correctly. If you plan to live in Norway for more than six months, you must report your relocation to Norway to the National Population Register (Norwegian Tax Administration) no later than eight days after your arrival.
- Norwegian Tax AdministrationIf you intend to move within Norway, you must send a change of address notification to the National Population Register (folkeregisteret) no later than eight days after you have moved. The National Population Register is managed by the Norwegian Tax Administration.
- Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV)If possible, parents should agree privately on child maintenance payments. However, guidance on how much child maintenance should be paid is available via an online calculator from the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV). (In Norwegian only)
- Norwegian Tax AdministrationYou can change your first name, middle name and last name. Note that the middle name is not a first name. Names which can be used as a surname, may also be taken as a middle name.
- Norwegian Tax AdministrationYour employer will obtain your tax deduction card from the Tax Administration after you have ordered it. This means that you will not receive it by post at your home address. If you earn NOK 55,000 or less during the year, you do not need to pay tax and you can order an exemption card instead.
- National Police DirectorateTo apply for a Norwegian passport, you must apply in person by going to a police station in Norway. To renew a foreign passport, you must contact your home country's embassy or consulate in Norway.
- County Governor - Fylkesmannen.noA married couple who no longer wish to live together can apply for separation and divorce. It is not necessary for both of you to agree on the separation, and there is no duty to give reasons. The county governor will contact your spouse if you apply alone. Application forms should be sent to the County Governor's Office in the county where the couple last lived together.
- Norwegian State Housing BankHousing allowance is a government-financed support scheme for partial coverage of housing expenses for households with low income.
- Norwegian Consumer CouncilThe invariable regulations of the Landlord and Tenant Act take precedence over any contractual terms and conditions. A rental agreement shall be drawn up if one party requires so. The agreement can be completed electronically. Optionally, you can print out the form and fill it in on paper.
- Statens institutt for forbruksforskning (SIFO)The Reference Budget estimates ordinary consumer expenditures for different types of households.